The Holy Family Parish : History
Holy Family Parish came into existence in 1931 when Bishop Doubleday sent Fr. John Petit (later to become Bishop of Menevia) to start a new Mission. Fr. Petit found accommodation in a council house in Porters Avenue and began to say Mass for the Catholics of the area every Sunday in any hall that could be obtained.
Fr. Petit was succeeded in 1932 by Fr. Vincent Dutton. In that year permission was granted for the use of St. Georges Clinic as a Mass Centre, where the people worshipped regularly every Sunday until the completion of the Church in 1934. Catechism classes were also held in the Clinic immediately after Mass, and in May 1932, a group of children made their First Holy Communion in the hall with a breakfast to follow in the home of their Catechists, Miss Smith-Piggot and Mrs Frankish in Westfield Road.The erection of the Church and Presbytery at this time was made possible by a gift (from an anonymous donor) of a large sum of money. Under the capable supervision of Fr. Dutton the work went forward, and in 1934 the church was opened by Bishop Doubleday. Fr. Dutton continued his labours at Holy Family until ill-health forced him in 1950 to take over the charge of a less onerous parish.